Monday, September 9, 2013

For Your Joy

When I was younger, my mom and dad talked to me a lot about delayed gratification and how patience was a virtue - young Sarah needed to work on those things.  Sometimes, 21-year-old Sarah needs help with them too.

Patience entails waiting, and waiting is hard, because there is so much unknown in the waiting.  But scripture encourages us to wait - and at that, to wait for some very beautiful things.

"But those who wait on the Lord will renew their strength; they shall mount up on wings like eagles.  They shall run and not grow weary.  They shall walk and not faint."
Isaiah 40:31

-----

When we see something good, we usually want it right away.  And why shouldn't we?  I think that a loving, Godly man would be a great addition to my life!  If he's the next person to walk through my door, why should I say no?  But if he doesn't show up soon, I don't need to be afraid that he never will.  Maybe God has a better time and place for that.  

Likewise, it would decrease a lot of my anxiety if I knew where I would be living next year; where my internship will be.  But do I still trust God that He has a plan for me, a new location for me somewhere out there?  Yes!

So why does God hold off?  Why doesn't He give me a hint as to what is to come - some cleverly placed clues along the way?

God knows about joy - specifically, my joy and your joy.  The joy He has planned for each and every one of His children.  And sometimes - most times - that joy is not an immediate thing.  God leads us on a journey to joy because He has other purposes for us along the way.

-----

There were many lessons about patience and waiting that I learned growing up.  Throughout my childhood I thought they were just crummy ways that my parents could find to prevent me from having cool things or doing fun stuff.  (Don't get me wrong, I have two wonderful parents - they are an enormous source of joy that God has put in my life.)  But my parents were actually teaching me the virtue in waiting.

When I was in kindergarten most girls were getting Barbie dolls to play with.  I was not.  This was a bummer!  Barbie looked like a lot of fun.  But my mom was adamant about waiting on the Barbie doll.  She told me - in the words that you would use to explain it to a 5 or 6-year-old - that Barbie's image was unrealistic.  She had some features that were over-sized, and some that were severely undersized.  Yet her advertising made Barbie the "it girl."  My mom wanted me to make sure that I understood that I was beautiful because of how God made me.  Barbie was not the standard for my beauty.

I eventually did get a Barbie, and had as much fun with her as you can have with a piece of plastic.  But I look back on that lesson and see that waiting until I understood where my beauty comes was incredibly important.  It has helped me understand that I don't need to compare myself to other women, or change myself (physically or otherwise) to please anyone.  There is joy in the beauty that comes from my Creator.

-----  

When you get older and you grow up past the Barbie phase, there are other temptations and snares that will make you want to skip the waiting.  If you love someone, why wait?  This temptation can plague us from the early days of high school, or even before.  We think we love someone, and think that what we are experiencing in the moment could be turned into something everlasting.  And the movies make it look so good!  So what stops us from giving ourselves up physically and emotionally?

God doesn't do this to rob us of enjoying ourselves, just like my parents didn't withhold Barbie to be malicious.  It is done out of love.  God, above all else, knows intimacy.  Read Psalm 139 and you'll know what I mean!  He loves each and every one of His children, and wants all of each of those hearts, because only He can truly give a love in return that is worthy of that heart.  And our earthly marriages are a reflection of that intimacy, that love.  So He asks us to wait.  He asks us to seek righteousness and purity in our hearts, and to be patient.  He asks this of us for the purpose of our joy.

-----
This idea from a sermon that I heard at my church has stuck with me for years:

Happiness is momentary, but joy is everlasting!

Sometimes we have to give up momentary happiness - not all the time, but sometimes.  The journey toward God's joy may be uphill, it may be frustrating, it may get tiring.  However, in the end we will look back and realize that the journey was also joy because it was a journey toward the savior. 

~SP




The parents who taught me about God's love and joy and waiting and patience!  (Above) The day of my dedication.  (Below) Celebrating their 27th wedding anniversary.


  

1 comment:

  1. Sarah! I hope that you are well. Thank you so much for sharing some of God's truth! God used you today to encourage me. Praise Him! Also, you got some good parents :)

    ReplyDelete