Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Toys We Grew Up With: How We Treat Weapons

These last few weeks have brought unspeakable tragedy.  Some occurring far out on the east coast, and one occurring in the county just north of where I live.  But because they are precious lives, precious children of God, it doesn't matter if these events had occurred on another planet.  It is simply heartbreaking and spirit-crushing.

----

When I was little, my mom was part of a Bible study that met at a local church.  The Bible study was called "Mom's and More."  The "...and More" part was where I came in.  There was childcare provided where kids would have there own sort of Bible study while the moms had time for fellowship.  We read stories, ate snacks, and sang songs.  I remember one of the songs talking about artillery and being in the Lord's army.  Although it certainly wasn't advocating for weaponry and fighting, it was not a favorite of my parents when I recited it for them at home.

I've written before about my desire to have Barbie dolls when I was little, and how my parents would not let me have them until I was older than most other kids.  For me, Barbie was the toy I really wanted, but I had to understand that the human body, the real human body, was carefully designed by God and came in many shapes and sizes that are all beautiful.

My brother David was not interested in Barbies.  David liked Transformers, and Power Rangers.  Many boys his age also had toy guns to play with - but not David.  When David was little my parents would not let him play with guns.  Why?  Guns are not toys.  Guns are weapons that are used with the intent to kill.  Whether it be aimed at a person, a deer or some other type of wildlife, the purpose of a gun is to destroy.  Yes, you can take it to a range to practice, shoot it at a target, hit clay pigeons - but a gun will never lose its capacity to end a life.  It will never not be a weapon.

----

In these recent tragedies, I do not feel a gun law reform is the only thing that needs to happen.  I think that there are aspects of mental health that need to be addressed.  There are elements of spirituality that need to be addressed.  There are family health issues that need to be addressed.  Gun law reform alone will not end these tragedies.  

In our country we have the right to own a gun.  So if my neighbor decides to buy a gun, that is ok.  I won't be there to pat them on the back, or congratulate them.  They didn't just bring a new baby home or graduate from college.  It is a purchase.  If my neighbor decides to let their son or daughter play with bee bee guns, or other gun simulators, that is ok.  But my children will not.  I will not allow my son or daughter to play games with guns involved, where they pretend to shoot at other people, where they pretend to kill other people.  I will make sure my children know the seriousness of weapons and the consequences they entail.

So, is it un-Christian to own a gun?  No.  But I believe it is not Christ-like.  You may think those are similar things - but often being a Christian bears no semblance to the ways of Jesus Christ.  If I am striving to be a Christ-like Christian, then there is no room for a gun in my home.  My protection is in Jesus Christ.  I believe in a just God.  A gun cannot bring me justice.

~SP

No comments:

Post a Comment